L1 Primary Industries Academy
Teacher in Charge: Mr P. Martin
This is a course for students who have an interest in the Primary Sector (agriculture, horticulture and also forestry, seafood, equine). The course is based upon industry topics and works towards the New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Skills as well as NCEA.
A diverse range of field trips are part of this course to increase awareness of the variety of careers and activities within the sector. Field trips are funded by the Academy.
New in 2021, there will be a series of day long skills courses run off-site by Toi Ohomai. These will cover:
- sheep farm activities, such as drenching, fencing, shearing
- activities around calving
- building and woodwork repairs around a farm
- use of orchard technology, such as hydro ladders
- using farm machinery and vehicles
The course is composed of a mixture of Level 1 & 2 unit standards (not all available standards are listed).
Recommended Prior Learning
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Total Credits Available: 27 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 27 credits.